My treat of the week- Lemon sugar cookies. I love love love anything lemon and it still lets me hold on to summer just a little bit longer. I adapted the recipe from one of my favorite baking sites – My Baking Addiction and I swapped out the vanilla extract for lemon & added in some extra lemon because I could 🙂
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Zest of one large lemon, finely minced
fresh lemon juice from 1 large lemon
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
*The original, unadapted version can be found here.